I will go on record here and now and say that I resent the hell out of not being able to get good quality, far less technical walking trousers as a woman sized over a standard UK 20, whatever that constitutes.
When I started walking in 2016 I could barely squeeze my size 24 body into a pair of generously cut size 44 men’s walking trousers. Thankfully I just about could with a degree of waistband discomfort and chaffing as men’s trousers are obviously tailored for their specific requirements. Otherwise, my walking gear would have comprised trackie bottoms or faux cargo pants from one of the High Street plus size retailers. I shudder to think!
|Brand||Product 1||Product 2||Product 3||Casual Size||Size||Waist Inches||Waist cm||Hip Inches||Hip cm|
|Mountain Warehouse||Trek Zip-off Trousers||Winter Trek Trousers||16||34||87||44||112|
|Mountain Warehouse||Trek Zip-off Trousers||Winter Trek Trousers||18||36.5||93||46.5||118|
|Mountain Warehouse||Trek Zip-off Trousers||Winter Trek Trousers||20||39||99||48.5||124|
|Mountain Warehouse||Trek Zip-off Trousers||Winter Trek Trousers||22||41.5||106||51.5||131|
|Sprayway||Atlanta Combi||Atlanta Pant||Hydrolite||XL||16||35||89||44||111|
|Sprayway||Atlanta Combi||Atlanta Pant||Hydrolite||XXL||18||37||94||46||116|
|Sprayway||Atlanta Combi||Atlanta Pant||XXXL||20||39||99||48||121|
|Keela||Peru Trousers||Rio Zip Off Trousers||16||34||87|
|Keela||Peru Trousers||Rio Zip Off Trousers||Iona Trousers||18||36||91.5|
|Keela||Peru Trousers||Rio Zip Off Trousers||20||38||96.5|
|Berghaus||GORE-TEX® Active Velum Pant||Ortler||Lonscale||16||33||84||43||109|
|Berghaus||GORE-TEX® Active Velum Pant||Ortler||Lonscale||18||35||89||45||114|
|Craghoppers||Classic Kiwi||Aria Waterproof||Nosilife Stretch||16||32||81||42||107|
|Craghoppers||Classic Kiwi||Aria Waterproof||Nosilife Stretch||18||34||86||44||112|
|Craghoppers||Classic Kiwi||Aria Waterproof||Nosilife Stretch||20||36||91||46||117|
|Karrimor||Aspen Convertible Trousers||Winter Trousers||XL||16||31||79||41||104|
|Karrimor||Aspen Convertible Trousers||Winter Trousers||2XL||18||33||84||43||109|
|Karrimor||Aspen Convertible Trousers||Winter Trousers||3XL||20||35||89||45||114|
- Mountain Warehouse is the only manufacturer I could find with available stocks of regular walking trousers size 22.
- Sprayway and Rohan have the most generous cut in their sizing with an 18 measuring 37 inches at the waist. Rohan offers technical trousers to size 20 and Sprayway also offer a range of more technical waterproof trousers but only up to a size 18.
- Keela is a great manufacturer based in Scotland and I’ve worn their men’s Scuffer trousers for years, I love them as they are strong, take a lot of abuse and are wonderfully stretchy. I haven’t tried any of their women’s trousers yet.
- Berghaus is a bit of a revelation here as I have managed to squeeze into a size 16 Himal trousers which apparently have a waist of 33 inches so I think the fit is going to depend on style.
- Karrimor disappoints with their sizing. A 20 comes in at two inches smaller than the waist on a size 18 Rohan or Sprayway trousers.
Both Mountain Warehouse and Sprayway have very kindly sent me trousers to review and you will find a link to the reviews below as I publish them.
Have you encountered similar issues and have you tried any of the brands above? Have I missed out any manufacturers which make larger sizes?
I would really like to hear about your experiences and any tips you’d like to share.